Dealing With Smoke Damage
Dealing with a fire at your home or office is always going to be time-consuming. There are so many things that have to be dealt with immediately to protect your family or business. Once the fire has been extinguished, the cleaning can begin. Here are a few things that FEMA suggests for you to do to start the cleanup process
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible to file a claim.
- Consider your personal safety when entering a structure damaged by fire.
- Check for structural damage before re-entering the building.
- Wear protective clothing (gloves, face masks, eye protection) when going in the damaged area.
- Never attempt to salvage belongings at the expense of your own safety.
- Be aware of hazardous chemicals that were in the home (laundry, garage, kitchen areas).
- Take photographs of damaged items for insurance purposes.
You can always call the professionals at SERVPRO of New Orleans Uptown & Mid-City at (504) 468-3047 if your residential or commercial property has had any smoke or fire damage. We have multiple ways of helping mitigate the smoke damage, including the use of an ozonizer and thermal foggers. The smoke can get into everything. We will do whatever it takes to get it back out!