Winter Heating Tips To Prevent Fire
It is common knowledge that the older homes in New Orleans do not have adequate heating or insulation. When the temperature drops in New Orleans, some people may be tempted to use alternative heating methods. We are here to offer these heating safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Never use your oven to heat your home
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters, or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel-burning space heaters
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Install wood-burning stoves following the manufacturer’s instructions or have a professional do the installation. All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
- Install and maintain CO alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning. If you smell gas in your gas heater, do not light the appliance. Leave home immediately and call your local fire department or gas company.
If your home or business experiences a fire damage emergency, SERVPRO of New Orleans Uptown & Mid-City highly trained technicians can help. We’ll clean and restore your fire damage in Logan Heights, “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at (504) 732-9597.